Back to Podcasts
EPISODE 30 – STEALING FIRE: HOW SILICON VALLEY, NAVY SEALS, AND MAVERICK SCIENTISTS ARE CHANGING THE WAY WE LIVE AND WORK WITH STEVEN KOTLER
February 28, 2017
Steven Kotler is in constant pursuit of discovering ways to increase our human potential and solve global problems. He identifies the intersection of science, culture, and technology while revealing what the future may hold. During this episode, you will feel like a secret is revealed to you, that the curtain is lifting, and YOU are being given the keys to the castle.
"Time slows down. Self vanishes. Action and awareness merge. Welcome to Flow."
- Steven Kotler
In this episode of the toofit podcast:
Episode 30 Overview:
- How Steven stumbled upon flow states.
- What is a non-ordinary state?
- Is it healthy or possible to be in a constant state of flow?
- How you can safely create a non-ordinary state in your everyday life
- The common misconceptions about flow states and ecstasis
- Why nearly every billionaire in Silicon Valley regularly microdoses with psychedelics
- Creativity… is it a trainable skill or a state-of-mind?
- Tapping into the DEEP NOW
- How to correctly utilize technology to increase your focus, performance, and life
- The hope that non-ordinary states provide for our future
Steven Kotler (@Steven_Kotler) is in constant pursuit of discovering ways to increase our human potential and solve global problems. He identifies the intersection of science, culture, and technology while revealing what the future may hold.
On the heels of The Rise of Superman, which explores how to hack and induce flow-states, Steven picks up right where he left off in the impeccably titled Stealing Fire. As with his other works, you feel like a secret is revealed to you, that the curtain is lifting, and YOU are being given the keys to the castle.
The “secret” is learning how to access non-ordinary states of consciousness, or ecstasis. This altered conscious has been shown to make people remarkably more creative, productive, resilient, satisfied, happy, peaceful, insightful, and intuitive. Steven claims that flow-states saved his life after dealing with Lyme disease. He has since dedicated his life’s work to further understanding and teaching how to utilize their potential.
Steven’s work led him to study how our world’s top performers use flow states, such as the Navy SEALs, Silicon Valley billionaires, top DJ’s, biohackers, entrepreneurs, elite athletes, and even mad, maverick scientists pushing the envelope of what’s socially acceptable.
Flow states are not only reserved for the elite. Hence the name Stealing Fire, about Prometheus snatching fire from Zeus to deliver to us, inept humans. Steven reveals that this is a revolution that has been hiding in plain sight. Yoga moms, businesspeople, young professionals, college students, and everyone in between has been tapping into these non-ordinary states of consciousness to increase performance, focus, willpower, gain insight and attain life satisfaction.
Are you intrigued yet? Pick up a copy of Stealing Fire for yourself and dive in.
For more information about non-ordinary states and more specifically, flow, visit Steven’s and his co-author, Jamie Wheal’s website FlowGenomeProject.com.
Show Notes and Other Mentions
- Abundance: The Future is Better Than You Think
- Bold: How to Grow Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World
- A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life
- The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Performance
- West of Jesus: Surfing, Science, and the Origins of Belief
- Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work